Monday, November 14, 2011

Tiny Thanks

It's been a tough November. After the overwhelming gratefulness I felt for the generous people in my life in September (and October evidently...), I have found it hard to reach that depth of emotion again. It's there. I recognize that I have been blessed. It's just that my expression feels trite and fake.

So rather than stress myself out by feeling guilty about not being able to express my gratefulness, I finding the little things. Here's what I'm grateful for even when I'm having trouble finding big swathes of thanksgiving:
  • A Starbucks on campus even though it tempts me to spend more than I should.
  • Pretty little tech toys. (I'm looking at you shiny iPad.)
  • Fuzzy blankets.
  • Tech ops in the CIA.
  • Days with sunshine.
  • Chick-fil-A.
  • Fiction that's only redeeming quality is that I LOVE it.
  • Little flash drives that hold lots of stuff.
  • Free washing machines.
  • Purple nail polish.
  • Mornings free for movie.
  • Harry Potter!
  • Diet Coke.
  • The rediscovery of tapioca pudding.

They aren't much, but they're bright spots in my day.

I've crossposted at Via Scribendi. Read much better thoughts about gratitude and thankfulness from my fellow bloggers.

2 comments:

bibliobleez said...

I wholeheartedly understand. Especially in a month when we feel obligated to show deep gratitude for everything, it can seem even more challenging, even if the thankfulness is there.

Also, it's true. Tapioca pudding makes life better. :-)

Kristen said...

I love Covert Affairs! And fiction that I love, just because I love it.