Thursday, January 20, 2011

YA Reading Preview

My library science class this semester is all about Young Adult literature and reading interests. It has a ton of projects to get one into the YA librarian mindset starting with a topical bibliography and ending with a defense of a YA book that often gets banned. In the middle, we'll be reading 25 YA novels. 10 are assigned; the other 15 are reader's choice within certain perimeters:
  • 2 Realistic Fiction
  • 2 Multicultural Fiction
  • 2 Historical Fiction
  • 1 Dystopian Fiction
  • 2 Fantasy
  • 2 Science Fiction
  • 1 Memoirs
  • 1 Retold Fairy Tales
  • 2 Non-fiction
These will be read to match discussion groups thorough out the semester. However within those 15, there are more requirements:
  • Authors Chris Crutcher, Walter Dean Myers, Ellen Hopkins, Sharon Draper, Jacqueline Woodson must be included.
  • 2 of the 25 must be the audio version
  • 2 of the 25 must be graphic novels
  • 2 of the 15 must be Printz or Morris Award winners or honor books (one must be from 2011)
  • 5 of the 15 must be from 2009 or later
So with that in mind, here are the previews for my next 10 YA novels.
So I think with that I've met all the requirements (and picked out two books that just seem awesome). I still need another fantasy, another sci-fi, a memoir, and two non-fiction. Any suggestions???

*It doesn't meet any of the criteria, but I get to finish the series and that makes me happy.
**This book looks awesome! What will happen when all the oil runs out!!!
***This book won me over with its title. I've been singing for the past 3 days. And it looks awesome--snarky and quirky.

1 comment:

Max said...

Try Nokosee: Rise of the New Seminole and its sequel Nokosee & Stormy. http://amzn.to/fqOoph Both are told from the POV of a 17-year-old girl. Although they might be categorized as realistic multi-cultural fiction, for me the books fall into romantic realism because of the love story element.