Sunday, August 1, 2010

Easy Peasy Skirt

I've been doing much altering for a friend recently. One of her requests was to shorten a two-layer maxi dress to just above the ruffle. Easy enough. But once it was done, I had this lovely, soft cotton lawn fabric that was begging to be used. So following One Pearl Button's tutorial to make a 20 minute skirt, I created this beauty.
It took a little longer than 20 minutes due to the need to sew in that upper layer. And then the gathering didn't work so well so I fell back to my traditional "pin in quarters and pull the elastic to match the fabric" method. (Which is probably harder on my machine and the thread and the elastic, so I don't recommend it except for the fact that it is SOOO easy.)

Then there was part 2 where we realized there was a reason that green fabric was the under-layer and preference for a tighter waist cinched the deal. So seam-ripping and a lining were inserted. Then I wished I was a little more proficient at gathering. Maybe waxed thread would help. But nonetheless a very cute skirt for the cost of the elastic (roughly $1).

Good day.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Very cute! Sounds like next you'll have to try making this 30 second skirt that I found online. :-) Here's the link for you to check it out... http://www.cutecircuit.com/30secondskirt/