Friday, January 1, 2010

Year in (Book) Review

*Today I totaled up all the books I read last year as I've kept track in Google docs (just titles and finish dates fyi). Over the course of 2009, I read 127 books, if you count the four Twilight saga books I read twice. I do have asterisks by them in case I decide to discount them someday. I try not to reread in one (calendar) year. Anyway a bit of fuzzy math shows that's about a book every 3 days. Not bad considering I had a huge dry spell in March and read books like War and Peace (which was hovering over my completed list for about 8 months) and Gone with the Wind. I think I have earned the Bibliovore t-shirt Mike got me for Christmas.



However, that also includes the 15 Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, up to J in Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series, the end of the Princess Diaries series, and several romance novels I won't list, oh and Twilight twice. :-) And to be fair about 10 of the BBC Reads classics and other dearly loved books. But I tend to love fluff more than substance. And my goal-oriented personality goes for speed and higher book totals than substance. So...

My Reading Plan for 2010:

1) Take time to read everyday, even if it's just 15 minutes before bed. (I think there may be like a day a week I don't read, but still it's nice to have acheivable goals.)
2) One out of every five books will be a non-fiction Theology/Hebrew book to keep my head in the game.
3) Also one out of every five books will be from the BBC Reads list until I've finished the ones I want to read. (I have a spreadsheet. On Google Docs. Seriously you should use this service.)
4) I will not be sad if I don't make my 2009 total, because the increase in more difficult reading will counter it.
5) Possible plan to put into action: review all books on blogger. We'll see about that. It would be nice to have a record of my thoughts, even for books I've read before to note changes, but it might get in the way of reading. :-)

So my plan leaves 3 fun books to sustain me as I slog through the others. (I make it sound so painful. It isn't. It's kind of like exercise. And sometimes it's hard to get motivated for exercise.) You'll probably see an increase in YA books and hopefully spy novels. This maybe the year I read Bond, James Bond.

*We're ignoring the months long lapse in posting. Thanks!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Did I know you have a blog? I don't remember you having a blog...How hip are you!