Saturday, June 6, 2009

Locavore or Globavore

I so want to be someone who eats organic and shops at the Farmer's Market or participates in a CSA. I really do. But in all honesty, my husband does 99.9% of the grocery shopping and easily 90% of the cooking and then there's the 9% of the time he tells me what I can make out of the food in the fridge. I'm just not good about thinking about food until I'm hungry. Really, really hungry. However, today I was in the car for massive amounts of time. (Seriously this connects.) And two podcasts I choose to wile away my time were on food and its global and local reprecussions.

The first was this TED talk:

I haven't watched it (because I was driving and my ipod doesn't do video). But the podcast told me that watching it was something. Anyway Louise Fresco talks about the importance of local food and global processed food. What I appreciated about her talk is that it didn't minimize the advances of the past. The fact that we can process food is a great thing, but the way we process food might be the problem.

It was a sentiment that was more fully explained in Michael Pollan's address to the Long Now Foundation. (The link takes you to the rss feed, where you can download Pollan's address.) It's a much longer podcast--90 minutes. But the question that really got me was how a lot of what Pollan suggests is a lot like what folks like the Amish or Mennonite farmers are doing already. And he reiterated that it's not that we need to take food production back, it's that we need to use the technology we have to suit our needs for today and not 40 years ago.

Anyway it helped relieve a lot of my non-locavore guilt, and stimulated some good thoughts.

1 comment:

Michael Hanel said...

you did marry a farmer's son, but something about not wanting to move to MN to be a farmer....