Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mixing It Up--Bible Style

I have a confession. I've gushed and fawned over my Bible blog, but for the past two to four weeks, I've been languishing. At first I was just a week behind and then I caught up and then I got a week and a half behind and did some reading to catch up and now I'm 2 weeks behind. Well, I was two weeks behind. Obviously the massive amounts of Bible reading is not working any more. As of like February, I had officially read all of the Bible in less than a year (finished up Exodus) and so my goal-oriented psyche kind of flipped off. Plus, I've been watching E-DiBS (8 min. devos by a Lutheran pastor--awesome), leading a Bible study and attending one to two others a week. Not that those are any replacement for straight up Bible reading, but it gets to be a lot. But I don't believe that reading the Bible or any spiritual discipline should be motivated by guilt from unread blog counts.

So a new plan has been instituted. For several years, I've lamented the fact that all the Bible verses I memorized in my 14 years of parochial education are now gone; the neural pathways have become overgrown. This fact was particularly driven home over Christmas when we busted out Psalty the Singing Songbook and the Kids' Praise tapes and sung along with "I'm gonna hide God's Word in my heart; it's a lamp unto my feet. Ba-dum-bum!" ESV.org has a verse of the week feed so I've now subscribed to that. It's simple 7 daily feeds, each listing the same verse. Hopefully, I'll remember to write it down, say it over a couple times several times a day and work on this habit of memorizing Scripture again. If I get really adventurous, maybe I'll even learn it in Hebrew (or Greek).

This week (of which this is the last day) the verse is from Habakkuk 2:14 "For the earth is filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as water covers the sea." Okay that was types from memory, here's the real verse "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea." (Future tense, water=the waters--not bad, technically I could probably make a case for my, ahem, translation.)

No comments: