Friday, April 17, 2009

Gifty Crafting & Crafty Gifting

Gifty crafting: crafting with the intent to give. My niece turns 4 in 10 days. She's a bubbly little girl who loves to play and sing and jabber, but not necessarily when there's a phone in front of her--which makes keeping in touch with her sometimes difficult since she lives in the Great North known at Minnesota. Mike and I haven't been totally good with birthday gifts (or baptism birthday gifts since we're also her godparents), but this year will rock. Emily doesn't have many dress up clothes so we're rectifying that situation. Princess gear and jewelry, a farmer cap and bandana in homage to her grandpa, and this:
A SuperEmily cape! I wish I could wear a cape around all the time. This is made from the linen leftover from Mike's stole and a wrap from a bridesmaid's dress. It billows lovely and feels really nice. Lining was probably unnecessary, but it saved me from hemming. I made it to tie (just once not knotted), but conceded a velcro button for safety concerns.

As I was musing away during my gifty crafting, I thought about the farmer's cap that I pulled from Emily's great-grandpa's stash that inspired on the dress-up present. Great-grandpa died last month, and while it's not my immediate family relations (these are all on my husband's side), I appreciate the sentimentality that comes with gifts that pay homage to those special people. And it led me to a spoonerism.

Crafty giving: giving with crafty intentions. Do you remember the Friends episode where Monica tries to craft a speech for her parents' anniversary that would make everyone cry? I confess I sometimes gift with that intent. Several Christmases ago, I contacted all the supervisors my dad worked with through his 25 years of ministry for letters and mounted them all in a frame. He cried. Just recently, I sent Mike up to Minnesota with a photo album of his ordination which contained the last picture of him, his dad, and his dad's dad before Grandpa Hanel passed away. Mike's parents cried. I routinely give gifts to my mother that make her cry (but she's an easy mark). I understand that it's slightly twisted to give gifts this way, but then again I like putting the thought into things that make them significant to the receiver, that move them. So yes, I like gifty crafting and crafty giving.

1 comment:

Lynn Rader said...

While it didn't make them break down in tears, my husband and I did give gifts to the godparents of our children. The craftiness in our gift giving helped them to remember the commitments they made as sponsors of the baptism.