Friday, April 24, 2009

Favorite Library

It's no secret that I love libraries in general. I like big, extensive libraries and small, quaint ones (that order all the books I need). I like public libraries and institutional libraries. I'm not really picky. Give me a map and I'll go find the BS or HQ section and I will happily wile away several hours. (Do not however give me a Dewey Decimal System call number...)

However, there is one library that will always hold a special place in my heart. Concordia Seminary Library does still retain most of its original furniture from when it moved into its current building in 1962. It does have a tendency to flood in the basement where the majority of the collection is. I am still lobbying for a giant sky light to be placed in the atrium. But this was the first library where I looked up every cited work in an article or commentary, and it had 90% of those works. After living so long on Ebscohost and Inter-Library Loan at Seward, it was so nice to just have the books I needed right there. Ah, it still makes me sigh. So that's where I am today. I'm in St. Louis for the weekend, and I have to make a stop, ostensibly to do research, but I will be soaking up the aura as well.

1 comment:

hugjulia1848 said...

Ohhh, I am jealous! It's always hard for me to go from the wonderful library there back to this sub-par library up here at RF. Enjoy your time there! And say hello for me! :)