Saturday, April 4, 2009

Como se dice Spanish Class?

I trekked to the land of John "Cougar" Mellencamp to visit my friend Lindsey yesterday. Such a trip usually includes time in her Spanish classroom with many rambuncious high schoolers. A good time is had by all, but it reminds me that I really am an introvert. Those kids are loud.

It also reminds me that despite the several languages I do know. I don't know Spanish. I'm very good at guessing. I think anyone who has studied at least a second language and definitely a third knows how easy it is to guess languages based on cognates and parts of speech and knowledge of the inherent structure of grammar. (I love you, Noam Chomsky.) I certainly rock Mike's Latin exams because of those things. But cognates and parts of speech and knowledge of the inherent structure of grammar do not help when you play games that require you to pull words out of thin air. So I inevitably fail at the Spanish games Senora plays.

No comments: