Saturday, March 21, 2009

Thoughts on a Second Coat

Paint is halfway done. (Pictures to follow.)

It never ceases to amaze me what wonders a second coat does. The first coat you're kind of feeling things out. Do I like this color? What's up with that nick? Do I remember how to paint? And the result can be less than satisfactory. But that second coat--things just click. Paint goes on more smoothly. You know what to look for and how to avoid the mistakes of the first coat. It's wonderful to get a second shot at things.

The other thing that I'm musing over is how redoing a ______ really makes you focus on the piece. While I was sanding, every nick, gouge, and indentation came out on that table. You could tell it had been used for hammering projects and banged on its fair share of corners. It might not be a collector's item, but I know that table has been used and loved by various members of my family and that makes it special.

I'm just really enjoying this project. :-)

No comments: