Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Tisket a Tasket; a Pink and White Basket

Before:

After:

A cute little basket cover for an already cute little basket we got as a present with bread in it. I plan to use the basket to catch all my little threads and scraps when sewing so I thought a cover might keep such things from catching in the wicker. However, there are pleats which can trap little things so I might have foiled myself.

Anyway, it was a fun little project to make. I just measure the circumference of the top of the basket and the bottom (oddly enough it was 34" and 17" i.e. exactly half). And then I measure the diameter of the circle at the bottom because it's kind of raised up. So instead of just cutting out a circle (which would have been a waste of fabric anyway). I cut a bit more than two halves of the circle and did a gentle curve to match the diameter. It wasn't exact. I didn't worry about the basket being oval and having different side lengths either. I made a small channel for a tie. Currently I'm using twine, but I think a little satin ribbon would be cute. It was an easy peasy project. I think I spent two hours over two days, and most of that was figuring out how to space my pleats.

The overall effect is very sweet and girly. The fabric is from Grandma Hanel's stash. And can you tell my free time has dramatically increased? Blog posts every day for week!

No comments: