Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Second Stole

Sometimes the church year is not so cool. Mike's beautiful ordination stole will only normally get used 2 or 3 times a year. Currently it's Epiphany, and the church (our church anyway) uses white vestments, and Mike needs a stole by February 1st. I had a great idea for using a Christmas star as a cross with a tomb for Easter and then Epiphany is all about light, so this stole can be used for Christmas, Epiphany and Easter. I'm trying out a new method of piecing fabric together like quilting without batting, but evidently the execution is lacking:
  1. So I was going to do a round tomb stone thing, but circles are hard to do (see wonky thing in the middle of the picture).
  2. I fixed tomb (straight lines) and still ended up with a wonky cross. I'm going to try again doing the short lines first and the major horizontal and vertical lines of the cross arms last.
  3. This is a very messy process, but I need, need, NEED to cut seam allowances.
I also learned that I am not child friendly. Let's count the sharp objects. One black scissor left open down in the left corner, one orange fabric scissor buried under fabric scraps, one rotary cutter with the blade left exposed on the grey fabric. I'm not totally sure I'm adult friendly either. And my poor husband has had to step over it all weekend since it's on the floor of the living room.

It's not all bad though. I think the design is really cool. Also it was my first attempt at making a pattern and I did remember things like cutting for seam allowances. Anyway I'm going to try again and hopefully my second attempt will be more successful.

No comments: