Friday, October 10, 2008

Blogger's Anonymous

Hi my username is brnh, and I'm a blog addict.

Seriously, it's getting a bit out of control. I'm subscribed to too many blogs. Let's look at my google reader trends: "From your 123 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 3,550 items, starred 11 items, shared 0 items, and emailed 0 items." Seriously 3,550 posts in the last 30 days! That's nearly 120 posts a day (which granted I kind of knew). I currently have 97 posts in my reader waiting to be read.

But here's the thing. I read them. I like them. I get my news from blogs, my ideas from blogs. I connect with friends through blogs. And for the most part I have time for them. Okay okay my bible reading blog is languishing--I'm behind in 7 posts. But otherwise I like the sense of completion. I do normally manage to read every post, every day (the weekends are a bit less so).

I work evenings so I don't watch tv really. I have an otherwise productive life. And I LOVE almost every one of my blogs. (The ones I don't love have sporadic shots of genius that keep me flipping through.) Sigh.

But I'm going have to cut it down. I think it's like a closet. You can't just keep stuffing it full or the really good things you love will never be find-able. Okay, here's the goal. I'm going to get my subscription down to 100. Of the 23 blogs that are getting cut, at least 5 have to be ones that do multiple posts in a day. (Ugh I think Freakonomics might be one of them. :-( ) That means that the ones I really like "People I Know"--i.e. the whole reason I started a blog role should be pretty safe, unless I stopped liking you in which case you probably don't read my blog anyway. :-) Ugh it's no fun to be responsible.

1 comment:

nate said...

amusing labels. :)

oh wise conosuiere (sp) of the blog world, maybe you could do a post that lists your favorite blogs and why. make some recommendations to share.