Sunday, September 28, 2008

So Much Potential

When I was in junior high, my favorite movie was Camp Nowhere. (Jonathan Jackson was so cute; I also watched General Hospital the whole summer just to see him.) The concept revolved around these four kids trying to escape the summer camp of their parents' dreams and live the summer of their own dreams. And Jonathan Jackson's character, Mud, always has "so much. . . potential!"

That phrase has been rattling around inside my brain for a while. It happens quite often when I contemplate my master plan to finally crack into graduate school. And it haunts me when I realize that 6 weeks ago I meant to start going through that 14 week syllabus to prep for the Literature in English GRE that will happen in 9 weeks. And it nearly screams at me when I... well let's not get over-dramatic. The point is potential and the lack of realization have been pressing on my mind.

And then I read this book, The Sacred Echo by Margaret Feinberg. And she talks about several things two of which relate to potential: not praying big prayers (because they might not get answered) and not holding on to your crown (because the wonderful things you have going on in your life are sometimes really hard and you want to give up). On top of that the whole premise of the book is that God uses repetition to get your attention. I don't know. I'm not a big "being led by the invisible hand of God" person. But I am an N* and I like patterns in the big picture so the idea has merit.

And then we have my church bible study which is read the book, If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. Again it's much like Margaret so I take things which a grain of salt, until he starts talking about unrealized potential and I start to think "Wait a second, I've been thinking about unrealized potential. And Margaret's been talking about things that repeat in your life."

So I'm mulling this all over. Not that I think I'm not maximizing my potential; I'm taking steps to do that. But some of the steps are kind of hard, and it could be easy to avoid them and as a result not do my best. So I'm taking it as motivation to keep studying when Grey's Anatomy calls.

*Cf. Myers-Briggs

1 comment:

hannah said...

Oh Camp Nowhere was one of my favorite favorite favorites too! I was always enamored with the idea of hiring an adult to do the youth's wishes.

Now, not to be all "temptress-y" I am going to have to tell you that it is OK to stop studying for GRey's anatomy :)