Monday, September 8, 2008

Oddity of Bible Reading

So I have this Bible blog I follow that gives four chapters from four books of the Bible. Theoretically, in a year I will have read the whole Bible (and astonishing thing from a Hebrew bible scholar, I know). Technically, however, I will have read Psalms and the New Testament twice. Anyway, most of the time it's all the Bible; things kind of flow together. But then there are days that are just jarring. Like today:
  • First we start in II Samuel 2, with David trying to defeat Ish-Bosheth and the battle is described thus: "And each caught his opponent by the head and thrust his sword in his opponent's side, so they fell down together."
  • Then we move to I Corinthians 13--the Love chapter as it is commonly known.
  • Then we go back to the OT, to Ezekiel 11, for some classic "Judgment on Wicked Counselors"
  • And we end with some Jesus stuff (John 12 for those who care).
War, love, judgment, Jesus.

No comments: