Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Birthday!!!

Not to me. To my friend Kristina. Her birthday was this week, and we went out for a celebratory movie last night. She's a grad student with Mike and has been looking for a book holder for a while--well, since our IKEA trip anyway. I found one through one of the student workers at the Law Library and thought it would be perfect for my practically-minded friend. One of its advertised features was the clear vinyl case it came it that had holes so you can put it in your notebook. A cool idea, but not very pretty. I knew I could do better. So I adapted the idea from my laptop cover to make a bookholder pouch.

The outer fabric is buttercup yellow satin from a bridesmaid dress (well thus far just the shawl), and the inner fabric was a thrifted pillowcase, but evidently a couple friends (including Kristina) had the floral set as children so it has a cute little nostalgia factor for the birthday girl. (Hey, did you know that nostalgia comes from the Latin word for homecoming? I learned that on All Things Considered. Now all my Classics friends are shaking their heads in dismay...) I used flannel for the interfacing as suggested in Bend-the-Rules Sewing, and the whole combination (though you can't see the flannel it matches amazingly well) was so cute I think I need to make some elements of this wellness bag.

4 comments:

Alli said...

Very nice! I've been meaning to get a bookholder for ages. Kristina's will definitely be traveling in style!

alaina said...

you are so crafty! and clearly a good friend! :)

brnh said...

Thanks guys! Kristina really enjoyed. Alli, Mike told me to put it on his "gift someday list". I think it's a must have for any grad student.

orangegutans said...

Yep, I used my new bookstand last night!