Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Expect the Unexpected

Hurricane Ike fiercely ravaged huge portions of the United States, and Cincinnati was no exception. Due to the wind (no rain from Ike), the area experienced its worst power outage ever with half a million people powerless.* Grocery stores left with rotting food due to lack of refrigeration. All the major universities, except UC, were closed Monday. There are still grade school closings today. Fortunately we didn't lose power. I didn't get my afternoon by the pool and our tomato plants were blown in half before I thought to bring them inside. Minor in big picture; sad in little picture. We thought that would be the end of new little tomatoes especially for the plant that had a really big kink in its stem. But I restaked them, we keep watering them, and today I found this on our menopausal plant:


Little tomato flowers ready to produce little green tomatoes that will ripen into slightly larger red tomatoes. Eek! It's a happy day.

*Coincidentally this is my second freak, wind-related, catastrophic power outage in 2 1/2 years. St. Louis had what amounted to an atmospheric sinkhole in July of 2006 which took out power to even more people. My apartment did lose power that time for about 4 days.

5 comments:

Michael Hanel said...

you should get some kind of credit somewhere for writing "menopausal plant"

Qutubuddin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Qutubuddin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
brnh said...

Aw! I got my first spam! ;-)

Michael Hanel said...

It's because you said "menopausal"