Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Professional Development

I try not to take myself too seriously. And I try not to take this blog too seriously. Otherwise major obsession would ensue and that happens often enough already. Sigh.

But that lack of gravitas not withstanding, I do have vague goals for this blog--some silly, some not so silly:
  • I really like to link to things I find amusing/funny/interesting/life-changing. It's much easier than emailing everyone I know and hopefully less annoying.
  • I want this to be a place to lay out thoughts, ideas and musings in a coherent fashion. I'm not talking about treatises on the primacy of the Pope or any other too deep (and boring). But the chance to think through an argument or idea fully doesn't happen too much in normal everyday activity, and this blog should allow me to slow down. (This doesn't happen too much because if I save a post as a draft I very rarely return so maybe that means my goal is not thought out in a current fashion.)
  • I really enjoy the blogging community--I mean really, really enjoy. I should go through my google reader and pare down my blogs, but I love them all. So my blog is a way to give back to all the people who give me so much joy on a regular basis. It also (goal 3.b) is a way to share what's going on in my life with those people whose blogs tell me what's going on in their lives.
So yeah, with the expression of those 3 1/2 goals, I'm announcing a refocusing. I don't think it will change the content too much. I just installed Google Analytics so we'll see how that data falls out. And maybe that will change things.

1 comment:

nate said...

let me know what you mine out of the google analytics data. i've got it too, and pretty much have resorted to keeping tabs on my visits per day and sometimes their location.