Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rehabilitation Dance Party!



Watch this:

A) it's amazing; So this is a video from a prison in the Philippines. If you click through to youtube, you can check out their channel and watch other routines. And they say 8 other prisons in the Philippines have adopted this kind of "exercise program". (W00t jazzercize!)

B) it's kind of reminds me of "Bridget Jones Diary 2: The Edge of Reason" where she teaches all the girls in the Thai prison to sing "Like a Virgin" which I thought was really dumb, but this is amazing;

C) So this past Spring I was part of a Citizen's Police Academy as encouraged by my higher-ups at the Law Library and part of it was going to the jail and the work program. I'm not good in those situations. I get very jumpy and very quiet. I tend to huddle. It's a bit too much reality for my idealist nature. And this wasn't fun. Jail is not fun, even the Peace Officer who gave us the tour talked about how you develop a sort of gallows humor about it all. This makes jail look happier (for what it's worth). It makes it seem hopeful. I know jail is supposed to be punishment, but it takes a pretty grim person to insist that it must be grim and dour 24/7. I don't know exactly how rehabilitating choreographed dance routines are (unity, community building--yes, but coping with the real world?), but it's amazing to watch.

2 comments:

alaina said...

I've seen the thriller version...
I wonder what an american prison would use? 80s pop music might not motivate the masses here......

brnh said...

There is a souljaboy one, actually that was the first one I watched.