Monday, June 2, 2008

Ugh Overdues!

I don't talk about my job much on here, and that's because I'd really rather not be defined by it. It's not what I went to school for 6 years to do; it really doesn't require more than a high school diploma and a few organizational skills; it's not really my passion or my calling or anything higher than I'm good at it and it pays (some of) the bills.

I work in a library, a field which should be right up my alley. I love, LOVE, LOVE!!! trips to the library. I love skimming the books, finding new finds, finding old finds again. But man working in a library, it's a different story. You don't get to hang out with the books as much. Instead you have watch over an incessant pouring in of details. The worst of which is overdue books.

I understand why people let their books go overdue. In fact, I forgot to bring back the book I checked out from my library so I could try out our email notice service. And once I get the email service up, hopefully life will be wonderful, because I hate sending out overdue notices. I know most people don't think about their overdue library books, but I have a hyperactive guilt complex. I feel guilty for sending out the overdue notices because I am just sure that person has a perfectly legitimate reason. And then when I talk through it and really they probably don't have a perfectly legitimate reason, then I get mad. And all the emotions are all tied up with overdues. And it's dumb, I know, I shouldn't care, but I really really do.

No comments: