Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You give _____ a Bad Name (Part VI)

Okay so I've been thinking more about Grandpa Maynard and his namesake and how a person can overcome a "bad" name. (It's in quotes because "bad" is incredibly subjective.) I mean look at Dwight D. Eisenhower (though he did go by Ike somehow). Dwight should be a very nerdy name and yet he was a cool politician and lots of people liked him. And so I wonder what does it take to overcome the stench of a "bad" name. Is it pure genetics over society? Is it the power of how much your parents love you over the teasing of your peers? Does it take a legacy to uphold like little Maynard? Most likely, it's all these things and more because children are so vastly unique and different. But I guess the good news is that it's possible.

More thoughts to blog about later: Are there neutral names?; The act of renaming in fiction; Baby names lists; Nicknames; The collective conscience in giving value to names;

I'll stop obsessing soon I promise.

2 comments:

alaina said...

Bethany, have you read Freakonomics? I ask because there is an entire chapter on baby name trends and why names are popular at any given time. Fascinating stuff. You should check it out if only to read that chapter (but the whole book is quite a good read.).

brnh said...

Actually it's sitting on my table waiting for me to stop reading religious and spiritual literature, but I hadn't even checked out the table of contents though. I'll look forward to when I can pick it up.