Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Desperate Naming (Part 5)

So did you catch the big naming fiasco on TV Sunday night? It was the season finale of Desperate Housewives. Susan had her baby last week on Mother's Day (aw) and now they need to name him. As you might guess, naming children is huge for me. Odd considering that the story of my name is that it's the only girl's name my dad liked. But I have my girl's name picked out for my child that is years in the future. I can't decide on a boy's name. But I digress.

Susan, Mike, name for a boy. Anyway they're having trouble deciding and Mike's grandfather dies (I'm not sure on the timing) and so Mike starts thinking it would be great to name the baby after his grandfather. Susan thinks it's a great idea until she finds out it's not Grandpa James; it's Grandpa Maynard. Yep, poor kid. There's a great line about which nickname will be made fun of less "May" or "Nerd". So Susan sets out to change the name in her "Lucille Ball" way. Mike finds out, shares the heart-wrenching story of how Grandpa Maynard sacrificed everything to care for Mike, and they ultimately decide to stick with Maynard. It's a name to live up to and has value for that tv family. So the question I ask is how much value is intrinsic to a name and how much is added by the person who embodies the name? This series may go on for quite a while...

1 comment:

hannah said...

I thought of you when they started talking about naming at the beginning of the episode. Poor Maynard.

You know what name I thought of for a boy? Constantine... You could call him Stan.... maybe...