Wednesday, April 16, 2008

OT Lovin'

I am really loving all my Old Testament reading. I mean Leviticus, man, it's supposed to be really boring. But today and yesterday have been about not sacrificing your children to Molech. And that takes me back to my Intro to Lit grading. They read the poem "Howl" by Alan Ginsberg (I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness), and he references Molech and so the students had to trace down the reference. And see this is what I love about Literature, it's the hunt for allusion and figuring out why the author plucks from ancient near eastern diety from one of the most obscure books of the Bible and runs with it.

I've been playing with literature a lot recently to prep for this online summer course on Religion and Literature so I've been reading Shakespeare and Dostoevsky and Flannery O'Connor and all sorts of people who are great, but somewhat unaccessible. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that if I had a choice between reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Brothers Karamazov, Harry would win every time. And it's the same way with Leviticus. There are much more interesting parts of the Bible. But you need someone (in my case an unidentified blogger who is probably really just a computer spitting out so many verses) to make you sit down and read the tough stuff so you can say "Wow! I'll be okay if I never have to read that again, but I'm really glad I read it at least one. There's some good stuff there."

No comments: