Saturday, April 12, 2008

Naming--Part II Delayed...

Ha! I just found Naming Part II in my drafts. Whoops! And it's blank. Crazy! But I do have something to talk about...

So yesterday, "bible study" was a presentation on the Ladies Aid of our church in the 1950s. One of the members is a historian so when he found the minutes from the Ladies Aid meetings, he was truly fascinated. So we talked about the culture of the '50s and how much it's changed. One of the things was how in the minutes women were referred to as Mrs. Robert Smith. When he went to find the first names in the sign up sheets he found the same thing. Eventually he had to go to records of the 60s and trace back or track down still living members and ask what the first names of these women were.

And it makes me sad though it really shouldn't. Because the reason I'm sad is that I think these women had no identity, but that's not true. They had an identity just one intricately connect to their husband. I remember passing around the bible study sign in sheet at my old church, and some women still choose to sign "Mrs. Robert Smith." Wonderful and thank God I don't have to do that. I'm not good at letting people make choices different from mine, but I'm trying... So the point I gather: naming has always been important, but that importance takes different shapes and shades.

No comments: