Thursday, April 10, 2008

Maybe this is why I should read the Bible...

Okay you need to know this: I am not good at daily Bible reading. I've tried reading in the morning, but I'd sleep the extra 15 minutes instead. I've subscribed to the Moravian daily texts email, but they want you to look the passages up (horrible I know!). And the Moravian emails do include two bible verses and a prayer, but they go to my aol account which I scroll through really fast so it barely comprehends most days. I like classes that make you translate the Bible so you HAVE to read it to get a good grade.

Then yesterday, I had read everything in my Google reader and they had some suggested blogs and one was all about the ESV (English Standard Version--one of the newer translations, pretty good) and it had a link to a daily bible reading blog (RSS feed, whatever).* So I've subscribed, if you click over you can see that we're in the middle of Leviticus (ugh even for a Hebrew person), a psalm or two, a chapter of Proverbs, and 2 Thessalonians. We'll see how long I last, because I'm a fan of the short blog post (which this won't be, sorry!). But you know it's God's Word and that's good right?

So that was the preface. Here's the story: I'm reading along in Leviticus 14 and I come to verse 34 “When you come into the land of Canaan, which I give you for a possession, and I put a case of leprous disease in a house in the land of your possession," Excuse me? God puts a case of leprous disease in my house? Instantly, I'm thrown back into numerous college and seminary discussions about omnipotence and why bad things happen to good people. Normally my answer is "sin in the world." But holy cow if that doesn't speak to sometimes God just does it. I mean it's the Job thing where God offers up Job for suffering just cause the devil's bored from wandering about the earth. ** It's "who sinned this man or his parents? Neither but to show the power of God" (or something like that). I find it very interesting that in Leviticus there is no discussion about why God would put leprous disease in the house. It's just here's the sitch, this is what you do. And it doesn't sit right with me. (It kind of makes me long for my self-study Bible with its unholy footnotes.) But sometime we don't have an answer.

So what's the point? I don't know. The problem of evil is more difficult than most of us can wrestle with in a blog post. But it keeps me from being dogmatic, from giving Sin more power than God, from being too dismissive about people's real and honest struggles. Maybe that's why I should keep reading my bible blog.

*Okay so here is the link to the main page thing. If you'd like to check it out, they have all sorts of options. I think it's pretty stinkin' cool.

** You need to know this is just a summary. It is not a well-thought out and worded synopsis. And I don't think I'm being flippant; I'm just trying to not let blogging take up my life. If you have any qualms with the theology of this blog please read the subtitle. Thanks!

1 comment:

alaina said...

good stuff on that link. thanks for sharing!