Friday, March 14, 2008

Speaking the Truth in Love

Yesterday I listened to part of an NPR interview with C. Vivian Stringer. She is the Rutgers women's basketball coach, the team that had the controversy with the shock jock Don Imus last Spring. The interview was about her new autobiography of which the Imus controversy only factors into the last chapter, but I was really impressed with what she had to say about the ordeal. (This is all paraphrased.) She didn't want her team to be victims but to show in word and deed how they refute Imus's slur. And part of that living the part included having their press conference and calling attention to the issue.

I so often don't want to be a bother or an irritant. I want to listen to other people's views and not necessarily feel the need to show them how they are wrong (or how they differ from my own views). And yet I am very passionate about many things, many controversial things. So I found in the interview a model of how to speak out without speaking down--a real life example of speaking the truth in love (Eph. 4:15). So I did in a small way today. It's not the sort of thing to blog, but I did and I'm proud of myself for doing so.

No comments: