Sunday, March 30, 2008

Crafting as a Form of Procrastination


I have several things bouncing around in the air right now. I'm racing to put together a book list for this three-week online class that I'll be teaching for Concordia Seward in May. I'm getting ready to go to the Women's Leadership Institute conference in Milwaukee next weekend. Well and there are other things but those are the two big ones. So instead of doing things that actually prepare me for these things. I realize what I really need is a new bag--a big bag that fits my laptop but isn't as big as my book bag I carried around at the Sem. So I pull out Bend the Rules Sewing, and I came out with the Pleated Beauty Handbag.

I'm pretty proud. It uses Amy's design with my fabric restraints. The tan fabric is from an old pair of khakis that I wore into the ground. As you can see from the picture below, I worked around some of the pants detail (and got an extra pocket to boot.) I also added pen and cell phone pockets. The dotted fabric is from a king size sheet I thrifted and am working very hard to use up.


I started off using Amy's embellishment pattern, but quickly moved on to my own thing. Free motion embroidery on my sewing machine scares me. There's not enough control.

But the goal was accomplished. I have a bag that's big enough to hold my laptop and other things I stuff in it!






"Wait a sec!" you say, "That's not any laptop I've seen before. Well that's because it's a laptop case that I made some time ago. This is the blog post that inspired it. It's story is a doozy too, because I didn't factor in seam allowances so I had to just sew around the edges in mock serger style. But I have to say that my macbook is snug as a bug in a rug and very stylish.


5 comments:

hannah said...

You are so very crafty and I LOVE these two projects!

Sarah said...

You're amazing!!!! I want one! Thats genius--my laptop is all scratched up from being tossed into bags of various sizes through the year. sad.

Alli said...

I love your bag and your laptop case! Both look awesome. I really like the embellishment you did on the bag, and the fact that you reused old pants.

nate said...

whoa. you have a blog. i just found it from hannah's. mike didn't give me the memo or something.

how was the conf? your roommate had some interesting things to say...

okay this is a random way to communicate about not blog-post stuff. drop me a FB msg or something.

glad you're in the blogosphere,
n8

Colleen said...

Hi, I'm not sure who you are, but you read my blog and I checked out yours...LOVE the wallet. I think I'll bookmark you!